Monday, January 30, 2012

What are we having for dinner?

Taco soup with fried tortilla strips and cheese quesadillas, that's what!

I decided to just make up my recipe as I went along so I took a trip to the grocery store. I was super happy with the results and Tyler loved it. I'll post the recipe another day.



Recipe
1lb ground beef (I used vegetarian meat crumbles)
1 small onion chopped
1 can corn
1 can kidney beans
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
2 cans rotel
3 packages taco seasoning mix
2 bottles bud light lime
1 lime juiced
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 package of shredded cabbage
1 container of sour cream
5 tortillas
Oil for frying

In a large stock pot brown ground beef and onion until beef is cooked and onion is soft.  Add contents of all cans (I didn't drain anything I used all of the juices)  Add the beer, at this point if it's not soupy enough add water.  Then once the mixture is warm add the taco seasoning mix, bring to a boil, once boiling reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. 

In the mean time heat oil, I used peanut oil because that's what I had on hand and I used my fry baby for deep frying but you can use whatever you like.  Cut the tortillas into small pieces about 2 inches long.  Take the tortilla pieces and put into the preheated oil, fry until bubbles start to form in the tortillas or until they start to brown on the edges.  Take out of oil place on plate with paper towels to drain and cool.  I put garlic salt on them at this point and juiced a little of the time on top as well to give them a little more flavor. 

Go back to the soup, juice lime into soup, taste, if necessary add some chili powder or salt and pepper.  To serve put soup in bowl, top with shredded cheddar, sour cream and cabbage garnish with fried tortillas.  There you have it Taco Soup.  I know it sounds kind of complicated but it was really easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment